Western Field 8X21
Rob Mills
2004-10-21 03:32:27 UTC
Has any one heard of this binocular that I purchased at an estate sale
today. They were made in Japan and seem to be of very good quality. RM~
Roy Harvey
2004-10-21 21:31:37 UTC
Rob,

Western Field was the house brand for Montgomery Ward, also known as
Wards. They probably put their name on many different binoculars over
the years. In general companies like Wards only carried optics from
the entry-level end of the scale.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT
Rob Mills
2004-10-22 04:47:56 UTC
Post by Roy Harvey
They probably put their name on many different binoculars over
the years.<<<

I should have figured they were MW's or J.C. Penney's, I knew they weren't
Sears as I worked for them. Doubt they were real cheapos, having Japanese
optics and solid brass frames. Thanks for reply, RM~
Jon Isaacs
2004-10-22 14:35:02 UTC
Post by Rob Mills
I should have figured they were MW's or J.C. Penney's, I knew they weren't
Sears as I worked for them. Doubt they were real cheapos, having Japanese
optics and solid brass frames. Thanks for reply, RM~
My father bought a pair of 7x50 binoculars from Sears many years ago, probably
in the early 60's. WHen I recently looked at those binocuars, they were quite
nice, BAK-4 prisms, probably a magnesium frame and made in Japan.

While department stores probably did not import the best, they did import some
decent stuff.

jon
Rob Mills
2004-10-22 20:56:25 UTC
Post by Jon Isaacs
My father bought a pair of 7x50 binoculars from Sears many years ago,
probably in the early 60's. <<<

Sears sold a lot of binoculars back in the 50's and 60's. I have a pair of
their 7 X 35's that I bought back in the early 60's and also another 7 X 35
Jason that an uncle bought, probably in the late 40's or early 50's. Both
are still in excellent condition but I really like the compact size of the
Western Field 8 X 21's that I just picked up. We live on a small (8-10 acre)
lake and there is no telling what will land next so it's handy to have a
pair hanging around you neck when you are out in the yard. RM~